Position: Development Director
Texas Historical Foundation (THF) is seeking a visionary leader to fill the position of Development Director. The Development Director will assume an important role in creating and implementing THF’s overall strategy to grow the Foundation in donations, grants and public awareness. Reporting to the Business Development Committee, this position is accountable for the advancement of the THF mission and leading its fundraising programs, budget, and community partnerships. This position requires a variety of specialized skills, including fundraising and relationship building. The ability to understand and communicate the THF mission and its importance is imperative.
About Texas Historical Foundation:
Since 1954, the Texas Historical Foundation has carried out its mission of preserving the stories, culture, and traditions of Texas for the benefit of future generations.
The mission of the Texas Historical Foundation (THF) is to serve past, present, and future Texans by supporting research and publication of Texas history, assisting in the preservation of historic and prehistoric artifacts and information, and raising and providing funding for these purposes.
THF carries out this mission without taking one penny from the state or federal government—an accomplishment that sets it apart from most other Texas historical preservation groups. We can do this because Foundation directors fund the organization’s operational costs; this means that other donations to THF can be allocated to worthwhile
preservation projects around the state.
Since 1983, the Foundation has also published an award-winning Texas history quarterly that educates readers about this great state.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and implement the multi-year strategy for fund raising and development plan for THF
- Create and manage campaign strategy for solicitation and major gift initiatives to include timeline and communication plans.
- Strengthen and broaden donor prospects through activities that raise THF awareness
- Actively build and develop relationships with funding and philanthropic organizations.
- Identify new channels for revenue-generation and fundraising programs that support program operations.
- Coordinate with the Grants Committee to manage potential relationships with grantees and the community recipients.
- Investigate and recommend opportunities to expand the Star of Texas gala and other major fundraising events.
- Lead all fundraising activities of THF
- Plan and lead local and statewide fundraising events.
- Actively engage and energize board members to cultivate and develop existing and potential new donors
- Build community awareness of THF through presentations and acting as THF ambassador
- Create target list of organizations, donors and civic leaders to contact each year as well as maintain ongoing relationships.
- Attend meetings and events that will expand community awareness of THF and its mission.
- Coordinate presentations to local groups.
- Manage social media initiative for THF
- Identify opportunities for social media exposure
- Ensure that the THF brand is maintained
- Use social media platform to communicate fundraising campaigns and key updates.
- Attend quarterly directors’ meetings and coordinate meetings and events with local individuals/ groups.
- Oversee donor relations.
- Occasionally prepare external grants and write and distribute follow up information
- Maintain effective policies, procedures and protocols to ensure data protection and donor privacy.
The Development Director will be thoroughly committed to the THF mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, supervision and relationship management experience. Candidates should also have a passion for Texas history and commitment to its preservation.
Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Five years of experience in a relevant non-profit environment; with 2 years in a leadership role.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications or related field;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience producing proposals and reports and making presentations to individuals and groups.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook and donor data bases;
- A proven record of donor development, donor commitment and fundraising goal achievement;
- Exercise judgement and sensitivity in working with donors, their families and advisors;
- Demonstrated ability to influence and work collaboratively with a diverse group of people;
- Past success working with a Board of Directors cultivating board member relationships;
Terms and Compensation
The position is full-time with a competitive salary commensurate with experience plus bonus based on meeting targeted objectives. THF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, parental status or mental/physical handicap.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and two writing samples (preferably one should be an appeal to a donor or funding organization) to: email@example.com.
No phone calls, please.